Saturday, December 15, 2012

Here's My Story.

I have made a lot of lifestyle changes in the past few years. I haven't always made all of the choices that I make today. I used to eat somewhat healthy throughout the week and call it "dieting", while allowing myself and all out cheat day, which was more of a binge day. I would eat all the bad foods I could get my hands on. At the end of the binge day I would feel awful. Not only did my stomach hurt, I had no energy and felt guilty and then depressed about the way the foods made my body look. I wouldn't even let my boyfriend at the time, touch my stomach. Looking back, my diet was so horrible. (diet, meaning the foods I ate regularly). At one point in time (for over a year) two of my daily meals each consisted of a venti sugar free vanilla latte' with whip and 17 (yes, seventeen) Splenda packets. Oh yeah, let's not forget the 3 petite vanilla scones... This was ordered two times a day almost every single day for almost two years.
After I got over my expensive, Starbucks aka liquid McDonald's addiction I moved onto a new one! I started drinking one to two Rockstar Punched energy drinks most days of the week. Around 60 sugars per can and over 300 calories. I would go to restaurants for lunch/dinner with friends almost daily too. I would usually order things like salmon, deep fried coconut shrimp, sweet potato fries, but occasionally ate stuff like pizza, and chicken tenders. Either way, most restaurant foods are loaded with hidden sugars, sodium, and greasy hydrogenated fats. Unless you modify the **** out of it, I can guarantee it is more harmful than helpful to your body. Even if the restaurant makes it look and sound healthy.
I also had a huge addiction to candies like: gummy bears, sour neon worms, sour punch straws, starbursts, sour patch kids, snickers, and peanut m&m's. Basically, I couldn't resist a majority of the candies at store checkout sections.
I was also addicted to diet Pepsi, drinking up to 3 or 4 cans a day at one point in time.
Today things are much different. The only things I drink in excess are purified water sometimes with lemon and stevia added or homemade fresh brewed tea with stevia for sweetening. I don't use Splenda anymore, maybe only a couple packets a year. Even then I feel guilty because I know it is loaded with harmful chemicals. I actually think Starbucks is kind of gross now. I am no longer tempted by their over priced pastries. I eat out once or twice a month and usually order something modified or healthy. I will get a salad with oil and vinegar on the side, a plain chicken breast, and pineapple slices. I won't order soda, (I am actually disgusted by the taste now-syrup is what it tastes like) just water and a big bowl of lemons! Occasionally I will get an appetizer or chips and salsa with guacamole or a dessert of frozen yogurt (minus the toppings) at a yogurt shop. The candy isles never tempt me anymore. Maybe once in a verrry great while. And that is when I go shopping right after the gym without having a postworkout shake or meal. I will see chocolate and think it looks good but I know it's just because I am hungry. Instead of going for something completely lacking nutrients I grab a beef jerky. It's not super healthy but better than nothing and certainly better than a milk chocolate Dove bar! It also kills the ridiculous "craving".
I actually don't even eat milk chocolate anymore. I switched to true dark chocolate (85% cacao). It is an aqquired taste, but some changes I make aren't necessarily ones that I am initially excited about making. I choose to do it because I determine what is more important to me. Being healthy and feeling good both inside and out or the taste of a health destroying sugary milk chocolate that will only last as long as it takes to melt in my mouth? I'll pass on the temporary satisfaction and choose longevity instead!
You just have to decide what's more important when making choices. It is important to think about your food and activity choices just as you would give special thought to any other life altering decision. What you eat and do today have an immense impact on your health/life tomorrow and in the future. I have changed many of my bad habits into good ones. Never before would I have thought I would be trading some of my old ones for my new ones and on top of it, being completely satisfied by them. Here I am today, and I can honestly say that I don't miss my old habits and the way they made me look and feel nearly enough to ever consider reverting back to them. I really enjoy the flavor and the feeling that healthy, natural, whole foods offer!
I could eat a cupcake in 30 seconds and not be satisfied. I would only want another. A sweet potato with cinnamon and stevia takes about 5 minutes to eat, and it is extremely filling, nourishing and absolutely delicious!
The changes I have made all happened with time. The more unhealthy habits I replaced brought about even more healthy changes naturally.
I am still in the process of transforming myself into an even healthier person. I want to eventually be okay with eliminating 95% or more of processed foods. I know that it will take time but I also know that it is possible! I just have to be patient, be open, and never give up!
If you are in the process of or are having thoughts of transforming into a healthier mind and body, please take my experience into consideration. Believe in yourself and start now! The sooner you start, the better you will feel and happier you will be. Remember to be patient and consistent, changes take time. The more consistent you are the quicker you will find health and happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment