Sunday, July 27, 2014

It's All Mental!

This is proof that achieving a small goal (even though it may not seem small  at the time) like getting through a workout when you're completely exhausted and lacking motivation is all in  your mindset. This is what my mind got me through tonight as I prepared to go to the gym. The only  thing that got me there, got me going, kept me going and made me complete my entire workout were my  thoughts!

I was at home and waited all day until I finally decided I needed to head to the gym. I was tired, my body was sore and aching from yesterdays  workout  and  I  told  myself  if  I  went  to  the gym I  could  at least stretch first and  if  I felt good  enough I  could  workout. When I  got there I decided  that  I would  do at least one  of  four rounds  of  my CrossFit style workout.  After I completed  the first round  I  convinced myself  I could  go for at least one  more.  I  beat my previous round time on  my  second round so I told myself I would  do  just one  more  round.  After I  did  the third round  I told myself  I could  at least  finish  the fourth round  even if  it  was  slow,  as  long as  I finished  it. I  knew  I  also  had  a  1.5 mile run  planned  out after these  4 rounds  (which I  was  planning  I would  just skip  if  I did  the  4  rounds).  After finishing  all rounds  with  dramatically improved  timing  from  this  same  workout  last week  I decided I would  at least walk  1.5  miles.
I  got on  the treadmill  and  walked  a quarter  mile.  I  told  myself I  could  run  at least a  half  a mile.  I  wanted to  give  up  so  bad  throughout  my entire  workout  but  I  didn't once I ran  a  half  a  mile  I  decided to slow  the speed  and  at least  run  another quarter mile.  Once I  got to  a  three  quarters of a mile I knew I was halfway. I saw  America's  Next  Ninja  on  TV and  this  girl  was competing. Watching her kick ass and  do  her best made me feel  like I  could  definitely  push  through this  short  run  of  another three quarters  of  a mile. I  watched  her dominate the obstacle course and the last half  of my run  felt like  nothing  and  it was  over before  I knew it.
This  all  may sound  so  repetitive  and silly but  honestly  it's  the only way  I  got  through my workout.  Had I not talked and walked myself  through  it with thoughts and  words  I  would  have  easily just given up. What I felt my  body couldn't do  tonight  was  all  in  my head.  I  also  feel way better now  than I did  before I got to the gym!
I'm proud of  myself and  I feel accomplished. This will be a reminder to me for days in the future  when I am feeling like this  again!

Last week total round  time  = 23min:53sec
Tonight total round time  = 17min:54sec
Difference  =  5min:59sec

For my run, last week I did the elliptical  and  1.5 miles took  me 26min:10sec
Tonight I ran on the treadmill and  1.5 miles  took  me 17min:30sec

Be consistent, believe in  yourself, keep progressing and getting faster and stronger!

No comments:

Post a Comment