Thursday, February 21, 2013

Cocoa Energy Balls!

Cocoa Energy Balls

This recipe was given to me from my older sister. She started making this vegan friendly treat for my nephew and he loves them so much! I finally made them after having the recipe for almost a month and I wish I had made them sooner!
When she sent me the recipe she noted, "Try not to eat the entire batch". I honestly kind of questioned that. Like, really... How could all of these super healthy seeds taste THAT good?!
Well, she was right! It was like love at first bite :) Everyone I share these with (whether they are healthy eaters or the complete opposite) will not leave me alone until I give them the recipe. And let me also say, it is kind of hard sharing these sometimes because I am always sad when they're gone! But I share anyway... seeing how I love helping others experience that healthy eating CAN be enjoyable, easy, and fun! This is a *No bake - 10min recipe*
This recipe is perfect for party hors d'oeuvres, everyday snack, treat, dessert, or just whatever...
You won't ever need to eat a piece of chocolate again :)
Oh yeah, the only downside to this recipe...
If you bring it to a party just be prepared to write the recipe down or bring a few copies with you or something!!! Also, bring toothpicks. Sometimes the seeds like to stay in between your teeth.

Ingredients:
-2 cups finely shredded 40% reduced fat coconut flakes (I get organic at Whole Foods)
-1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I get at Trader Joe's)
-1/4 cup raw shelled hemp seed (organic, Whole Foods)
-1/4 cup coarsely ground flaxseed (organic, Whole Foods)
-1/4 cup Chia seed (Trader Joe's)
-1/4 cup real natural peanut butter (I use ADAM's)
-1/3 cup organic virgin coconut oil (Trader Joe's)
-1/3 cup organic (raw is optional) honey (Costco)

Utensils:
* 1 large mixing bowl
* measuring cups
* spoon
* covered storage container
* super clean, washed hands

Directions:
1. Mix all dry ingredients together well in bowl.
2. Add remaining 3 ingredients (peanut butter, coconut oil, and honey)
3. Mix together super good with spoon/hands/both. (I start with a spoon then wash my hands right before mixing it up with my hands)
4. Roll into tablespoon sized balls. (Recipe should make 25 balls of heaven).
5. Refrigerate. Eat cold or at room temp. Don't let them sit out for too long, as they will melt from the coconut oil being at room temp for too long. If it happens they will still be edible but possibly transform into the mushy looking mixture you began with.

*If you don't have any of these ingredients, the recipe will cost approximately $20-30 to get started up, but you will be able to make it many times with most of the ingredients you purchased. If that scares you, a great portion of that money comes from buying bags of the seeds. You can find them in the bulk section at stores like Whole Foods and just purchase the small amount the first time.

Nutrition Information based on my ingredients.

Nutritional Information per ball
Calories: 95.52
Fat: 7.5
Saturated fat: 4.6
Monounsaturated: 0.77
Polyunsaturated: 1.1
Carbohydrates: 6
Sodium: 68.4
Sugar: 3.4
Fiber: 1.84
Protein: 1.78
Iron: 1.68%
Vitamin A: 0.96%
Calcium: 0.96%

Nutritional Information per batch
Calories: 2,388
Fat: 187.6
Saturated fat: 115.3
Monounsaturated: 19.3
Polyunsaturated: 29.2
Carbohydrates: 149.6
Sodium: 1,710
Sugar: 86.8
Fiber: 46
Protein: 44.5
Iron: 42%
Vitamin A: 24%
Calcium: 24%

No comments:

Post a Comment