Sunday, January 15, 2012

Chinese Chicken Salad!


A good friend of mine introduced me to this salad from La Bou Bakery & Cafe. It is super healthy and super yummy! The only downside to the salad was the price. Spending $5.00 on a tiny salad everytime I want it just seems like a waste of money to me. So, I went on a mission to find out their secret dressing recipe. I found one online that tasted exactly the same! I would love for you to try this delightfully, nutritious recipe!
For my salad I measure 4-5oz chicken, and I use 1 carrot, 1 celery stalk, about 1 cup shredded cabbage, 1 cup of torn lettuce leaves.

Chinese Chicken Salad


Ingredients: (salad)
* green cabbage
* butter lettuce or green leaf lettuce
* thinly sliced carrots
* sliced celery
* boiled/shredded chicken breast
* roasted, unsalted peanuts (optional)

Ingredients: (dressing)
* 1 cup grapeseed oil
* 1/4 cup sesame oil
* 1/3 cup rice vinegar
* 1/4 cup organic sugar or (I use Xyla)
* 4 tbs low sodium soy sauce
* 2 tsp dry mustard

Utensils:
* sharp knife
* cutting board
* medium sized pot
* mason jar (for dressing)
* 2 forks (to shred chicken)
* liquid measuring cup
* measuring spoons

Directions: (salad)
1. Place chicken breast in pot of water on burner at medium high or level 7.
2. Leave alone for approximately 20 minutes. (or until cooked thoroughly).
3. Cut cabbage (thinly), cut lettuce. (I rinse and spin it in a salad spinner).
4. Rinse then slice celery and carrots at an angle.
5. Combine all veggies into a big bowl. (Or you can make a personal salad bowl)
6. Shred chicken breast (I use to forks in opposite directions to pull it apart).
7. Place shredded chicken in fridge to cool for a few minutes before topping the salad.
    (I use 1/2 a chicken breast worth for my salad).
8. Sprinkle roasted, unsalted peanuts on top (if desired).
9. Enjoy!

Directions: (dressing)
1. Combine all ingredients except grapeseed oil into a large bowl, whisk in oil slowly, store in a mason jar and shake before using! (Can be refrigerated for a long time).

So there you have it! Very simple, delicious, and of course, HEALTHY

Soy Sesame Vinaigrette Nutrition Facts per 1 tablespoon
Calories: 64, Fat: 1.97g, Saturated Fat: 0.25g, Monounsaturated Fat: 0.6g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.9g,
Sodium: 57.5mg (using low sodium soy sauce, Trader Joe's), Carbohydrates: 2g, Fiber: 0.02g, Sugar: 0.1g, Protein: 0.25g

No comments:

Post a Comment