Sunday, November 13, 2011

Protein Granola Bars!

I tried a recipe for protein granola bars that was in the October issue of Oxygen fitness magazine. They were very tasty, but I like to make my own versions of healthy recipes as well. The chocolate chips in this recipe were added for my baby since he doesn't always eat as healthy as I do! You can leave them out completely or even add dark chocolate as I did. The best quality of dark chocolate will contain 72% or more cocoa. And the higher the number the healthier it is. (In moderation of course)!
Anyway... I personally love this recipe because a lot of these ingredients are staple items in my kitchen and I can make them whenever! These are super yummy and a great little snack for on the go! Hope you like em'!

Banana Walnut Protein Granola Bars

Ingredients (in order):
* 2 small ripe bananas (mashed)
* 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
* 1/3 cup canola oil
* 1 tbs raw honey
* 1 egg (beaten)
* 1/4 tsp real salt
* 1/4 tsp baking soda
* 1/2 tsp cinnamon
* 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
* 2 scoops vanilla whey protein powder
* 1/2 cup whole grain flour
* 1 cup rolled oats
* 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
* 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips (optional)
* 1/4 cup shredded coconut (optional)

Utensils:
* 1 medium-large mixing bowl
* 1 large mixing spoon
* 1 rubber scraping spatula
* 1 9x13in glass pan (sprayed)
* measuring cups
* measuring spoons

Directions:
1. Pre-heat oven to 325 F
2. Add one ingredient at a time into a medium-large bowl for easier & better mixing. (Tip:start with first ingredient to last).
3. Once all ingredients are mixed well, pour & scrape mixture into pan.
4. Bake for 20 mins, or until edges are golden
5. Slice into small squares immediately
6. Place on a cookie cooling rack for 10-15 minutes.
7. If placing in tupperware, first place down a paper towel inside. (Or they will get too moist & sticky & spoil faster)
8. You may also individually wrap each square in plastic wrap. (As I prefer to do)
9. (If you plan on storing for more than 2 days, I suggest storing in the fridge).
10. Enjoy anytime, anywhere, with anyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment