Saturday, June 9, 2012

Power Of Stretching.

As you can see in a recent and previous blog of mine, I was experiencing symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome. The pain gradually increased and I was experiencing it more intermittently over time. I thought I had almost permanently messed up my wrists and hands possibly through improper form with strenuous workouts, work tasks, etc...
Luckily, I wasn't about to accept this fate that would interfere with my goals. I researched the web for hours on end; looking for solutions and answers to fixing this problem without  the use of medicines and surgeries.
After days of reading, I finally found some information worth a try. I read that many people look to heal the area of the body that is in pain, when in fact, the root of the problem usually arises elsewhere. Most people experiencing these symptoms have professionals, doctors, etc. look at their wrists and hands when the pain is actually occuring due to neck and back problems.
I made it a goal to stretch daily. After just three days of stretching all of the constant tension and chronic pain that I had been experiencing which kept me sleepless and miserable had gone away! To some people this may be no shocker but to others it could be helpful information.
I am always so focused on my workouts that by the time I am finished I just want to go home and take a shower. I neglected stretching for so long and the consequences had definitely caught up with me.
After stretching for the first time (30 mins) my whole body felt extremely light and lifted. Like a huge weight was taken off my shoulders. I can't even really describe the relief my entire body felt! It was just amazing!
I have made it a daily ritual to stretch for at least 30 minutes. I do it upon waking or right before bed. Either way helps a lot. In the morning it offers a calm yet energizing start to my day and at night it puts me to sleep being more relaxed than ever.
The key to a good stretch session is patience and deep breathing. I do a silent count of 2 with each slow inhale and   another count of 2 with each slow exhale. Belly breaths are best, and I hold each stretch for 30-60 seconds.
A lot of the time I will find that I have stretched for 45-60 minutes without even realizing it. The benefits of stretching are truly amazing! Especially if you can multi-task and think about your goals and priorities while doing so. 2 birds with one stone. Stretch away!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad your pain went away! Stretching was something that I neglected for years, but now I realize the importance of it!

    ReplyDelete