Monday, May 14, 2012

Krystal's CrockPot Recipe!

I got a CrockPot for Christmas and I finally decided to make a dinner with it. I have never used one before so I think that’s why it took me so long to finally use it! I am so glad that I did and now I can’t wait to make more recipes in it! Everything is so easy once you have the ingredients prepped. You can go about your day doing all of your important activities while it cooks for you! I had the time to prepare about 50 protein pancakes and take care of other things while it was cooking! It was an awesome feeling! Just knowing that I can go get a workout in or focus on my goals while my weekly meal is cooking is so exciting to me! It is such a time saver! I am sure many of you already know this but it is a new feeling to me so I just had to share it with you all! Anyway, my CrockPot came with a book full of recipes but I knew they weren’t healthy girl approved! I looked through them just to get ideas for liquid-dry measurement increments. I decided to be creative and think of a recipe all on my own, and boy was I glad I did! I can’t get enough of this recipe! It was so good that I wanted to eat the entire pot of it! I hope you will try it and love it as much as I did!

Krystal’s CrockPot Recipe




Ingredients:
* 3-4 thawed chicken breasts (cut into 1in cubes)
* 3 cans low sodium chicken broth
* 3 small yams (peeled, med-sliced)
* 3 stalks celery (med-sliced)
* 2 carrots (peeled, med-sliced)
* 1 yellow onion (med-diced)
* 1 cup frozen bell pepper trio (thawed)
* 1 cup dry basmati rice medley (cooked) *Trader Joes*
* 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil or earth balance buttery spread
* 1 tbs: garlic powder, dried parsley, dried oregano.
* 1 tsp: real salt, fresh ground pepper, onion powder

Utensils:
* 1 (4 quart+) CrockPot
* 1 large sharp cutting knife
* 1 large plastic cutting board
* 1 large sauce pan with lid
* 1 wooded stirring spoon
* 1 can opener
* 1 vegetable peeler

Directions:
1. Plug in CrockPot, turn onto hi setting, add 2 cans of low sodium chicken broth, and cover with lid.
2.  Peel yams and carrots then cut up and add to CrockPot. Cut remaining vegetables, add to CrockPot.
3. Add in herbs and spices. Stir well, cover with lid.
4. Rinse chicken breasts, cut off excess fat, cut into 1in cubes. Place on top of vegetables in CrockPot.
5. Cover CrockPot and set a timer for 4 hours. Change temperature from hi to low in the last 30 minutes.
6. In the last 30 minutes, begin cooking rice in saucepan. Add 1 can of low sodium chicken broth, 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil or buttery spread, freshly ground sea salt/black pepper. Bring to a boil for a couple minutes. Reduce heat to med-low and let simmer for 15-20 minutes with lid on, stirring occasionally.
7. Once timer goes off, add the rice to the CrockPot and stir it all together. Set Crockpot to warm or off once it is ready to serve. Enjoy! (Let it cool a little before storing in the fridge/freezer).

No comments:

Post a Comment